My mitre saw had seen better days. The base was made from plastic and aluminium which eventually broke leaving the fence uneven and with a bit of play on it. The plastic had snapped where the fence was supposed to screw into the base and no matter what I did I could not get an even cut. I eventually tried to screw the entire saw onto a wooden base, including the fence but that did not help either. I therefore decided to build a new based, turning the mitre saw into a dedicated chop saw which could cut a true 90 degree angle. I later added some insert nuts into the front of the base to attached a mitring jig and a push clamp for working with aluminium.