CB CNC Part 11 / Assembling Enclosure & Mounting Panel Layout


Ok this is a flat pack box that I‘ll be using as the controller enclosure, and I have had it cut elsewhere. It’s using the left over wasteboard from a much larger machine, and I designed it actually using inkscape and a plugin to create this type of finger joint vector lines. This is the back. I’m not sure if you remember when I built the vertical CNC stand I used a similar material. There are the different side panels.

I’ve designed windows around the enclosure which I can either close off or use to install panel mounts and fans. If I decide to change a component in the future for whatever reason I can cut a small mounting plate instead of a larger one.

I have also included an access panel on one side. The fit for this is a bit tighter then the other panels of the enclosure and should really think of another way to securing instead of friction. I also have a round opening on the panel so I might mount the spindle radiator there and cool the case at the same time.

The internal measurement of the box are roughly 22cm deep and 52cm square.

I wasn’t sure whether I should spray and finish the pieces individually and then put it together – there is always a risk that the components will swell and won’t come together. So I think I might just glue it like this, and give it a varnish afterwards. But I really love this effect. And I like the idea of making a CNC control Box out of the wasteboard of another CNC machine.

The algorithm gods will be pleased with that sacrifice. I decided to glue the box together, and will give it a few coats of varnish once dry and also spray it with a flame retardant liquid – just in case.  I used a slower setting wood glue while assembling the panels, which gave me plenty of time to secure everything with almost 80% of my clamps.

(BBKP Band)

I am now cutting the mounting panel out using 3mm aluminium. This is going to be 450mm square with rounded corners. It will stand off the bottom of the enclosure on 12mm birch ply spacers and secured to insert nuts.

So I’m planning to fit these insert nuts on the centre of this little blocks which will be the raiser for the mounting panel.

To space the mounting panel I use some blocks which are placed between the inside of the enclosure and two sides of the panel. I then lift the panel and score where the MDF will be glued…

before applying the glue, and putting weight on the panel until the glue has cured.

I’ll just put a few things in there to add a bit of weight.

Ok so I’ve bought some slotted trunking. I did try to cut some myself but I found it was too brittle and snapped too easily. I’m going to turn the camera off now while I experiment with the layout once again. Once I’ve come to some sort of conclusion I’ll show you what I’ve done.

Ok this is where I’ve got too so far. So the controller will go there. There is a next version of this control board which has a few changes and one of the main things is this DC jack has been changed to a screw terminal. You can see why this would make such a big difference coz once that is plugged in I’m not going to have much room to pull that out. So I need to make sure I get that in the right place where I’m happy with it, where I have enough room to access the terminals. You don’t want to make this harder than it needs to be.

Alternatively what I might do is just is just raise it up and maybe install it like this on some kind of raised spacers. So I can access all of these a bit easier.

So I’ve got the drivers on this side here. I’ve got my power supply unit. The main high voltage power will come in from the top to the contactor. This is just standing in for now. To save a bit of space I might actually stick this onto the side of the VFD. I’m not sure whether I should drill these rivets out – in fact these are on the top part of the body so there’s no point doing that.

Ok enough waffling – I’m going to fasten the trunking around the mounting panel as well as securing several of the components.

They are a little bit long these rivets but they are all I’ve got. And I’ve got all the mounting holes – four there, which I can access. It’s about 15mm on either side – an extension. I guess I could have just tapped these onto the place but I like the idea of having the possibility of taking them all off in one go.

So to save space I’m going to line the corner holes here with the mounting hole on the actual plate. So when I go to fit this in, I have to screw through one of the holes which will keep the drivers in place and I’ll also do the same with the VFD here.

I didn’t line up the holes perfectly here so I am carefully pivoting the mounting nuts into position. I think all the components would have been more easily installed using adaptor brackets, like the ones on the stepper drivers.

I miss placed a few holes here as well.

I’ll drill the holes out to 3.5mm to make it easier for myself.

F**k (I snapped some plastic)

(Drone buzzes into the room) Sometimes when…

So I made a few mistakes but also showed you how to correct them.

if you are unclear about anything in the video, write a question with the time code of the scene, and I’ll elaborate in the comments.

I’d also be curious to know what people think of the enclosure design. I’m really excited that it’s starting to take shape.

So in the next video I will work on some panel mounts and wiring power to the enclosure. If you want to download the enclosure DXF files, those will be made available on my Patreon page.

Thanks again for watching and please sacrifice a thumb if you enjoyed the video.

Leave a Reply